Thursday, May 01, 2008

Sock love...


I am experiencing some new found sock knitting love. It all happened while talking out loud at my last knit therapy meeting at Noble Knitters. I was chatting with Phyllis who knits gorgeous socks. She was knitting the magic loop (which I have never learned... yet) and I said that I would like to learn it because I really am annoyed with the ladders I get on the 4 dpns I use. She said, "why don't you just knit on 2 circs". What an eye opener. Heck, when I cast on my toe up socks, I do so on 2 circs. Always have. Then I always *used* to switch to 4 dpns. Well, no more!


Here is where I need your help. I just noticed when photo-ing my new toe up Lorna's Laces new color - Edgewater sock on my too cool martini sock blockers from Scout's Swag that I can *still* see a ladder. Arrrggghhh. Any suggestions please? Does anyone else have or have had this problem? Maybe it will go away with washing?

2 comments:

Phyl said...

Well first off THANK YOU for the compliment - you are SO kind to express that you think my socks are "gorgeous". I would consider them "ok", but I'll take your word for it!

Now about those "ladders"....what pattern are you doing on the foot? When I do any kind of ribbed pattern on the foot it "looks" like there are ladders on each side, where the foot meets the instep, but it's only because the ribbing meets up with the stockinette. If you really are getting ladders, try pulling the working yarn tighter when you switch from the back needle to the front needle as you knit that first stitch. This will make the space between the two needles tighter.

Let me know if this helps.

BTW: I LUV that LL I got from you last night!

monica said...

Ooooh, I love the Lorna's Laces color.
Ladders, I agree with Phyl. The most important thing is to make sure you eliminate that looser space between the two needles.